- Additional police coverage in areas where homeless Substance Use Disorder patients gather
- Medic units that try to keep up with all of the overdose calls and supplying Narcan to those who choose to carry it
- Jail and not rehab beds filled with Substance Use Disorder patients.
- Guard's wages and administrator's salaries at those jails
- Court expenses: Judges' salaries, their offices, and staff... The courtrooms themselves
- Medical expenses to emergency rooms and hospitalizations for issues that are the result of being homeless but are not specifically the Substance Use Disorder itself. Examples are pneumonia, broken bones, cuts, etc.
- A lifetime of lost tax revenue from that 25-year-old who could have found healing and has overdosed.
- That same person's child(ren) who may end up being raised by their grandparents who are on limited retirement incomes or moved to the foster care system and the costs related to that process.
- Funds spent by outreach groups trying to do what they can in light of our societal absence of proper funding and care to these Substance Use Disorder patients.
- Funeral expenses
As I come to know these fine people, they share with me more of their personal and sensitive stories. Their collective story is what I am trying to share with you as my way of breaking the stereotypical beliefs that exist. "Blog names" have occasionally been given to me by the person whose story I am telling. Names are never their actual names and wherever I can do so, I might use the opposite pronoun (his/her, etc.) just to help increase their privacy.
Monday, December 9, 2019
Tuesday, November 26, 2019
Friday, November 15, 2019
Monday, November 11, 2019
|From "Diane's" letter to me 10 days before she went Home.|
Saturday, November 9, 2019
Friday, September 27, 2019
Friday, September 20, 2019
Friday, September 13, 2019
Wednesday, September 11, 2019
Saturday, September 7, 2019
Thursday, September 5, 2019
Until that time when we as a nation have evolved to accepting Substance Use Disorder patients as patients and not as outcasts, we must open Safe Injection Sites/Overdose Prevention Sites NOW!
|The Last Stop's Sidewalk as a Hospital Ward|
|The Intersection of Kensington and Somerset as a Hospital Ward|
|Street In Front of the Kensington StoreFront as a Hospital Ward|