- Additional police coverage in areas where homeless Substance Use Disorder patients gather
- Medic units that try to keep up with all of the overdose calls and supplying Narcan to those who choose to carry it
- Jail and not rehab beds filled with Substance Use Disorder patients.
- Guard's wages and administrator's salaries at those jails
- Court expenses: Judges' salaries, their offices, and staff... The courtrooms themselves
- Medical expenses to emergency rooms and hospitalizations for issues that are the result of being homeless but are not specifically the Substance Use Disorder itself. Examples are pneumonia, broken bones, cuts, etc.
- A lifetime of lost tax revenue from that 25-year-old who could have found healing and has overdosed.
- That same person's child(ren) who may end up being raised by their grandparents who are on limited retirement incomes or moved to the foster care system and the costs related to that process.
- Funds spent by outreach groups trying to do what they can in light of our societal absence of proper funding and care to these Substance Use Disorder patients.
- Funeral expenses
This blog is my public diary of experiences that I've had as I become increasingly involved in the area of Kensington, Pa. I am including experiences that I am having as I sit down, one on one, with homeless people who are dealing with Substance Use Disorder. All Names have been changed and, occasionally, I share a story using the opposite pronoun (he/she him/her), as an additional way to assure privacy.
As I come to know these fine people, they share with me more of their personal and sensitive stories. Their collective story is what I am trying to share with you as my way of breaking the stereotypical beliefs that exist. "Blog names" have occasionally been given to me by the person whose story I am telling. Names are never their actual names and wherever I can do so, I might use the opposite pronoun (his/her, etc.) just to help increase their privacy.
Throughout this blog you are now seeing advertising. I need to provide this so as to keep going financially with this ministry. If you see something that is inappropriate to this site, please let me know - maybe get a screen shot of it for me. I do get credit for any "click" that you might make on any of the ads. If you're bored some night and want to help me raise some needed cash, visit my site and click away to your heart's content....
Post a Comment