Please Know...

As I come to know these fine people, they share with me more of their personal and sensitive stories. Their collective story is what I am trying to share with you as my way of breaking the stereotypical beliefs that exist. "Blog names" have occasionally been given to me by the person whose story I am telling. Names are never their actual names and wherever I can do so, I might use the opposite pronoun (his/her, etc.) just to help increase their privacy.

Throughout this blog you are now seeing advertising. I need to provide this so as to keep going financially with this ministry. If you see something that is inappropriate to this site, please let me know - maybe get a screen shot of it for me. I do get credit for any "click" that you might make on any of the ads. If you're bored some night and want to help me raise some needed cash, visit my site and click away to your heart's content....


Sunday, February 3, 2019

A Sheep Named Sally

My life changed forever today thanks to A Sheep Named Sally[1]
                            
As I was driving toward a Men's Recovery House to deliver pizza,[2] I received a text from Sally's Mom informing me that Sally had not been heard from since the day of the Emerald City eviction.  Mom was beyond worried.  I told Sally's Mom that I would search for her after attending church at Urban Hope.  I added Sally and her Mom to the church's time of praise and prayer.

My first place to search for Sally was Prevention Point.   They could not have been more wonderful even though none of the staff said that they were familiar with Sally.  As I looked around the room packed with men and women whose lives were on the line due to Substance Use Disorder or the purity of poverty,  I saw one person who would know Sally.  I asked him if he'd seen her recently.  This man, about my age, gave me a hug and said he had not but if he does, he'll tell her to call her Mom or call me.

My next stop was a women's shelter where I found two women I know and who know Sally.  Neither had seen her recently but both told me they would tell her, if they see her, to call her Mom or call me. 

From there, I drove around the streets in the area of the now deleted Emerald City.  I found standing on street corners women of Emerald City who I know and who were searching for "dates."  I asked each lady[3] if they had seen Sally.  None had but if they do, each told me that they would tell her to call her Mom or call me. (Do you see a theme developing here?)

I saw a drug dealer I know and a woman walking with him and I asked them…  "Yes." She said.  "I saw her about an hour ago.  I'll tell her to call her Mom or call you."

I drove around the block and saw a man I know…  "Yes, I saw her not even twenty minutes ago.  She's fine.  When I see her again, I'll tell her to call her Mom or call you."

With so many people now knowing to tell Sally to call her Mom or call me, I knew I had done all that I could practically do.  On my drive home, Sally's Mom sent a simple text:  "She called. She is fine…Thank you."

Sally is a living manifestation of the Words of Christ in the following parable:

Luke 15 New International Version (NIV)
The Parable of the Lost Sheep
Then Jesus told them this parable: “Suppose one of you has a hundred sheep and loses one of them. Doesn’t he leave the ninety-nine in the open country and go after the lost sheep until he finds it? And when he finds it, he joyfully puts it on his shoulders and goes home. Then he calls his friends and neighbors together and says, ‘Rejoice with me; I have found my lost sheep.’ I tell you that in the same way there will be more rejoicing in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine righteous persons who do not need to repent.

This parable from the teachings of Jesus became real in my life today.

My life changed for the better forever, thanks to a sheep named Sally.




[1] Keep in mind that I never use actual names.
[2] That had been donated by II Brother's Pizza in Glen Mills, Pa.
[3] A daughter of her Mom and Dad

No comments:

Post a Comment