Please Know...

As I come to know these fine people, they share with me more of their personal and sensitive stories. Their collective story is what I am trying to share with you as my way of breaking the stereotypical beliefs that exist. "Blog names" have occasionally been given to me by the person whose story I am telling. Names are never their actual names and wherever I can do so, I might use the opposite pronoun (his/her, etc.) just to help increase their privacy.

Throughout this blog you are now seeing advertising. I need to provide this so as to keep going financially with this ministry. If you see something that is inappropriate to this site, please let me know - maybe get a screen shot of it for me. I do get credit for any "click" that you might make on any of the ads. If you're bored some night and want to help me raise some needed cash, visit my site and click away to your heart's content....


Saturday, May 15, 2021

An absolutely overlooked aspect of "Harm Reduction" is that part that demands the termination of any medical professional who does not live up to their Hippocratic Oath to 'do no harm.'

I was cleaning a table today that had unintentionally overgrown with multiple days worth of the current day's receipts and other miscellaneous stuff when I found two used doses of Narcan, lovingly placed in a bowl as a testimony to the young lady life almost lost and yet saved and then tossed to the street by a registered nurse who had, at the beginning of her professional career, dedicated that career to the ideals of Hippocrates.

Only a bit before May 6, 2020, Allison laid blue and nearly lifeless on the steps of the Somerset El stop.  Someone else had administered Narcan #1.  After four minutes, I provide the second and mouth to mouth resuscitation in the absence of any of her own breathing.  She stepped away from the cliff of death that navigates its way around the edges of Medicaid Mountain, walked to the ambulance, was transported to Episcopal Hospital and was told by the registered nurse to

"Get out of my emergency room!"

Today, one year later, Allison continues her life of drug use - increased recently as she told me three days ago - continues with 'dates' and the horrors of street life.  She wishes she was dead just like her childhood friend Diane

How different would Allison's life be right now if that registered nurse had fulfilled her Hippocratic Oath when Allison came through those emergency room doors?

An absolutely overlooked aspect of "Harm Reduction" is that part that demands the termination of any medical professional who does not live up to their Hippocratic Oath to 'do no harm.'

No comments:

Post a Comment