I just hope she's safe.
The search for Mickey yesterday took a fascinating and wonderful path as I visited with Anna Batten (Yes, she is an outrageously distant relative.) of "Never Give Up - Heaven Can Wait" two areas I had not yet seen up close. (Click here for a wonderful Facebook hosted video.) One of the places we visited is nicknamed "Emerald City" because it's on Emerald Street under a long railroad bridge.
Imagine if you will located right here a sidewalk lined with
- worn out discarded mattresses
- personal belongings,
- 30 to 40 men and women and one fetal child due to be born in September
- food and filth
- tables and chairs
- needles and heroin and crack cocaine
- an active card game
- a man in a wheel chair
- sleeping or unconscious humans
- A woman thinking nothing of changing clothes out in the open
- A couple intertwined
- A man "knighting me" because I visited with iced Gatoraid
- A woman turning from me so I would not see her light her rock of Crack Cocaine.
- She was embarrassed by her behavior because she was doing what her body called her to do as is the case with any addiction. Her embarrassment was increased by what we had learned about each other during our chatting over the past few minutes when we realized that we were from neighboring communities in Delaware County.
there the last time I saw her. Anna and I said our goodbyes and drove to that apartment after making one very sobering visit to the area