- One conversation was about the power of sin and Jesus' death and resurrection.
- Another was about the possibility of getting two different people into a specific detox center.
- Another conversation was with a newcomer to this community although not new to the streets. She was, from a suburban perspective, beautifully dressed in her Sunday best, as she was returning exhausted from her long day of 'dates.'
- In another conversation, arrangements were being made to help a resident get to an important medical appointment.
- One woman told us that the next morning, she was going to detox. Please pray for her.
As I come to know these fine people, they share with me more of their personal and sensitive stories. Their collective story is what I am trying to share with you as my way of breaking the stereotypical beliefs that exist. "Blog names" have occasionally been given to me by the person whose story I am telling. Names are never their actual names and wherever I can do so, I might use the opposite pronoun (his/her, etc.) just to help increase their privacy.
Friday, March 30, 2018
Being an outcast in so many social settings when balanced by my ever developing Faith has produced in me a sensitivity and Hope that I try to tap into as I relate to addicted and homeless people who are among the most outcast people of our society.